From May 2013, the National Construction Code features mandatory wind requirements for all new constructions in regions C & D. This update means that the wind code is now applied to garage doors and large access doors.
To comply with the revised standards, garage doors are required to be cyclonically tested.
Damage investigations of buildings affected by cyclones have shown that garage doors have under-performed other parts of buildings. If a garage door fails prematurely during a cyclone, the damage to the building, contents and surrounding property can be far more expensive than the door itself and can also endanger lives. To reduce the risk of this happening, it is recommended that you install a garage door that is adequately wind rated.
Comprehensively designed for use in all cyclone-affected regions throughout Australia, the B&D Windpanel™ has been independently tested by a NATA certified labaratory and independent engineer, and is approved for use in high wind cyclone regions.
The B&D Windpanel™ can withstand wind speeds of up to 317km/hr. It looks just like a normal sectional door but has been re-engineered to deliver additional strength, and incorporate the high strength aluminium bracing system.
The Aluminium Bracing System:
- When a cyclone is imminent, heavy-duty aluminium braces are secured to both the door and garage structure.
- Up to 4 braces are required depending on the door width and which cyclone region the door is installed.
- Braces are secured to both the garage (to the floor and the lintel) and to the garage door.
- Installation process takes under 5 minutes per brace and only requires a screwdriver.
- Once cyclone passes, the braces are removed, placed in their dedicated B&D-designed storage system.
- Additional reinforced track brackets – secured every 250mm and constructed of quality galvanized steel
- Each individual door panel features 2 x steel reinforcing struts – giving each panel enhanced support
- Additional centre stiles in every panel
- Double end stiles, extended axles and wheels (which are pinned to prevent movement)
- The high wind product features heavy duty extruded aluminium braces, above door brackets, floor central mounting point & numerous support fixtures throughout, ensuring the door resists blow in and blow out in cyclone affected regions throughout Australia
- Storage system for braces (optional)
- Springs tested to exceed the ˆAustralian Standard > 20,000 cycles